Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Day 3 Before the Mast (Aug 4)

This is sunset from Black River Harbor, which was quiet and off the beaten track. Our 32 NM trip over from Ontonagon was in cool sunny conditions. This was our second day of motorsailing into a persistent west wind.

Not much in Black River except hiking trails and native forests. I laced up my boots and hiked for 3 hours to two waterfalls and a not-so-scenic ridge. My captain and the couple from Red Sky (who we met in Ontonagon) joined me for the first hour before returning for naps.

The Captain whipped up some refreshing Pina Coladas and a gourmet spaghetti dinner for the four of us. While cleaning up the substantial mess, he informed me to cut back on water usage and conserve valuable vessel resources. My transition from a 54 ft vessel has been a bit bumpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment